November 9, 2022
Charles gives talks at universities
- Charles gave a talk to students in a class at the Ted Rogers School of Management, Toronto Metropolitan University (formerly Ryerson University) on October 25, 2022. He also met with a faculty member and a graduate student to discuss a research project using data analytics in transportation.
- On November 2, 2022, Charles talked about climate change and net zero to students and faculty at the Collège Militaire Royal (Royal Military College) near Montreal, Quebec. He also discussed climate change in the teaching program of the Collège with faculty members.
UN climate change conference (COP27)
($ indicates a subscription is required)
- World leaders and government delegates are gathering at the UN climate conference, known as COP27, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt. Over the two-week period from November 6-18, 2022, the delegates will discuss and negotiate efforts by countries to mitigate climate change and adapt to its impacts. (COP27 website)
- The Minister of Environment and Climate Change Canada of the federal government leads the Canadian delegation to COP27. In addition to participating in the negotiations, Canada will advance actions on phase out of coal fired electricity, reduction of methane emissions, increasing climate finance commitments, and cutting plastic waste. (Government of Canada, November 2, 2022)
- Alberta is sending its own delegation to COP27, led by the provincial government’s Minister of Environment, Sonya Savage, to “ensure that Alberta’s voice is heard”. (Calgary Herald, October 4, 2022)
- World events such as inflation, Ukraine war, rising energy costs, and Covid-19 pandemic are not explicitly on COP27’s agenda, but they are of concern to delegates. They could reduce the ambition and financial commitment of countries in their mitigation and adaptation efforts, and financial support for developing countries. (Vox, November 7, 2022)
- On Wednesday November 9, 2022, the COP27 talks focused on financing from investors for developing countries to help reduce emissions and adapt to climate change impacts. Progress has been slow to commit and mobilize these funds. (Globe and Mail, November 9, 2022 $)